Military is Northern Beaufort County’s primary economic driver. Our three installations combined directly employ more than 19,240 military and civilian personnel. According to an economic impact study completed in January 2017 by the South Carolina Department of Commerce, the combined direct economic impact for military and civilians for the three installations is more than $993.8 million for the area with a total impact of more than $2.2 billion on the local economy.
MEC/ Military Enhancement Committee
The Military Enhancement Committee works closely with local, state and federal leaders to enhance the quality and value of the three military installations of Beaufort County and to lay the framework to defend them with regard to any threats. The Chamber works to support military families and improve their quality of life as well as retain jobs associated with our military bases; also, to expand the Tri-Command’s $2.4 billion economic impact by lobbying to maintain and grow our military installations and protect them from encroachment.
The Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce works closely with local, state and federal leaders to retain jobs associated with the region’s military installations, and works to support military families and improve their quality of life. The Chamber hosts Military Appreciation Day annually as a welcome to active duty military and their families, and as a way to say “Thank you” to those who sacrifice so much on a daily basis.
The MEC also works to protect our bases in the following ways
- Host annually; The State of the Bases, featuring the Parris Island Band, which provides our members and the community with important updates from leaders of our local military installations.
- The Military Affairs Committee honors military families with the Military Family of the Quarter Award during The State of the Bases and Military Quarterly Briefings
- MEC attends and participants in the Association of Defense Community Conference in Charleston, SC, organized tour to Parris Island & MCAS Beaufort
- Organizes the Military Briefing at Sun City, featuring leaders of our local military installations
- Continually advocates for Military Friendly Legislation
- Continually advocates for Military Retirement Income Tax Exemption
- MCRD Parris Island celebrated 100 years of Making Marines
- MEC attends the Governor’s Annual Military Commanders Briefing in Columbia, SC
- Attends South Carolina Military Base Task Force Meetings